26 May 2015

My Happy Place


There is a nearby Woodland Trust forest that I absolutely love to run and walk through every chance I get. It's not large by Arkansas standards and it is next to the motorway but it is so lush and secluded that you would never know there was a river of asphalt just right there.  Last Sunday I finally managed to talk my partner into having a stroll through it with me so he could see the bluebells before they disappeared for the summer--the ones here haven't been invaded by the Spanish variety as of yet so it's just a sea of tiny shimmery hazy purple-blue blooms.  During the walk he remarked that it was no wonder I love it so much because it is not unlike the area I grew up.  He's right, it's almost like I'm back 'home' whenever I wander about in these woods.

Is it just me or do you see a dragon as well?


One thing we did find was this gorgeous orange mass of fungi growing on a fallen tree. I had never seen anything like it before but apparently it is considered a delicacy and is informally known as Chicken of the Woods (Laetiporus Sulphureus). Sadly none of the photos we took did it justice with the vividness of the colours.  

Chicken of the Woods

Elsie and Ben in the obligatory tree pic

So where is YOUR happy place? 




No comments: