12 April 2009

I love my local bike shop

Ok, had a very frustrating week so decided to go with a positive title :-). But I really do love my local bicycle shop! First off, the owner (who James and I are lucky enough to consider a good friend now) allowed me to keep my new road bike at home even though I still owed him approx. 1/2.
2) he only charged me their cost, not msrp
3) he GAVE us the new store jerseys (cost him $50 each)
4) I couldn't make up my mind which trainer to buy so he allowed me to take both of them home to decide
5) He wouldn't let me pay for a seat I'm trying out until I find out if it's going to work for me
6) He ordered the pink Speedplay lightactions as a surprise for me and was just going to swap for the black ones--however, I paid for them and kept the black ones to put on my Marin since it's taking up permanent residence on the trainer

Now isn't that just a great list! Now, I realize that James and I spend quite a bit of money there but we always get a discount so it's not like he's making a living off of us and when James and I told him we wanted to pay for the jerseys I was told that he's looking at it as advertising (especially from me since I do so many cycling events).

One thing I've noticed with my new Jamis Xenith Femme is that I'm getting treated more seriously by "real" cyclists. It's making me smile thinking about it even now, lol. Shoot, I would've thought that it'd more impressive riding a century on an entry-level road bike rather than the mid-range one I've got now! Although, I must admit that it's kinda cool getting the respect, ;-).

Now for a quick recap on the frustrating week

-Was snowed on Sunday night and Monday morning (was just flurries but it's APRIL, for crying out loud)

-blew a tire on Hwy 19 going south Wed. morning (I skipped my run trying to hurry down for nothing). On the bright side road rescue took my suggestion on a shop and wasn't smart-assed for once.

-the trailer I was picking up Wed. night had issues (turn signal out from corroded wiring, a very bald and flat tire, and the landing gear crank came fell apart in my hand, grrr). Shop closes at 8 pm and doesn't reopen until 8 am, it was 2200 when I was trying to drop and hook.

-Thurs. morning found a bolt and a nail in a drive tire (losing air around the bolt)

-New shop policy, mechanics can't work on the tractor and trailer at the same time. Never mind that even the mechanic that worked on my stuff would've preferred to do it that way. Had to get the trailer worked on, pull out and drop, then get back in line. What would've only taken an additional 15 minutes took 4+hours. Oh yeah, pulled into the exact same bay that I was originally in.

-While waiting on me to get out of the shop James was asked to do local work. Wouldn't have been so bad but it was going to the Union Pacific rail yard and when he got there with the first load was informed that no billing had been received so he had to wait for an hour outside the gate until that was completed. You would think that when he went back for the 2nd trailer that the billing would've been processed for it as well, but nope, had to wait again. So that put us even further behind because I waited around for him another 2 hours after I was done with my repair work.

-I frustrated a fuel desk cashier at the Love's Encinal Thursday evening when I refused to leave my paperwork with her to be trans-flo'ed while I took my shower so had to deal with her snarkiness. After I told her that "No, I prefer to wait" she decided that she was going to make me wait as long as possible before she scanned the sheets. Just because she's that blase about her own personal info doesn't mean that I am about mine.

-Friday on the I35 corridor is bad enough, but add in Easter and it was a mess. Bumper to bumper traffic from San Antonio to Waco then we were on backroads, thank goodness.

Now, I realize that the week could've been much worse but I really wanted to get in for a special event Friday and it seemed like fate was working against me being there.

Good news-
-We finished up the flower bed around the mailbox yesterday-I think the neighbor across from us backed into our whiskey barrel last month. It's now surrounded by pavestones 3 high so if they run over it it's going to hurt their suv, HA.

-State refund arrived so Buffy (the new road bike) is ALL mine

-the pink lightactions match perfectly, lol (James had been teasing me all week that they would clash

-James is making me cassoulet!

No comments: