19 April 2009

What you don't want to see.....

.........is the looks of dismay and pity on your friends' faces when you start describing an ache you've been having. Yep, not formally diagnosed but evidently I have plantar fasciitis or a pretty good imitation of it. For a couple of months I have been having what I describe as a stone bruise on the inside bottom of my foot in the heel area. Achy when I get up in the morning, usually ok once I get to moving, feels great when I run but walking aggravates it. Grrrrrrrrr, I don't want this!!!!!!! Ok, ok I know that nobody wants it but this blog is all about me.

Got home after my long run this morning and immediately started researching p.f. Need to ice, stretch, strengthen, and rest. One website recommended a cold soda can and rolling it around with your foot and that actually works. I had been using a tennis ball to do the same thing, the coke can just adds the icing element. No walking barefoot (but I love my saltillo tile floors!), no flip-flops, no speed-work, and no hills. Actually I guess I should lay off running for a couple of weeks but that's NOT going to happen, thppppt!

Ok, weekly recap

Tues. 5.25 miles in 50:50 at Lebanon outlet mall (2.49 with Elsie, then bathroom break for me)

Wed. 4 miles in 40:37 with Elsie at Lebanon outlet mall again (laid over, gotta love the auto plants and suppliers)

Thurs. Tempo run at Winfield, TX 5.21 miles in 49:34
mile 1 10:08 (warm-up)
mile 2 9:32 (into the wind and uphill)
mile 3 9:00
mile 4 8:52
mile 5 9:50
mile 5-5.21 2:10

Friday rest (work)

Saturday Beyond Boundaries Boot Scootin' 5k--Garmin is showing 3.2 miles in 25:12, forgot to shut off right away. Small race-I was 7th overall (male and female).

Sunday 11.96 miles in 1:56:20

3 comments:

Arland said...

Oh no, not you too. PF seems to be the major problem going around the club the past year. I can tell you what makes it worse. Running fast or any type of running that gets you on your toes, races, speedwork, etc. Overstriding is another problem that aggravates it. Orthotics was the best thing that helped mine. You might get lucky and just take it easy, ice, easy stretching. Watch getting in and out of your big truck too. Its like stairs and my doc told me to be extra careful on stairs. I have to watch around the fire truck big time. Till it gets better just run slow and easy, and no racing. Probably not what you want to hear. Good luck with it, I know you can get plenty of advice with the PF Cruisers.

Unknown said...

Arland,
I don't think mine is near as serious as what you and Cindy experience(d). Been icing it like crazy, stretching, and trying to wear shoes around the house. It wasn't near as sore this morning when I got up (that's when it's usually the worst). I don't normally overstride so that's not a problem :-).

Gabby

Arland said...

Glad to hear that. Be careful with it and don't let it get worse. I ran on mine for almost a year before it finally got really bad after a 2 mile race.