08 April 2012

A different sort of adventure




Somehow at the ripe old age of 43 I'd never managed to see an opera performance but I finally rectified that oversight this past Tuesday.  On the spur of the moment right after my birthday I bought tickets to see "Don Pasquale"  at Opera Memphis.  Oh my gosh, what an experience............This performance was at The Orpheum right off of Beale Street and it was so amazing to walk in and see how nicely everyone was dressed and the buzz of excitement.  So incredibly magical.


The Orpheum all lit up

During the performance I was as mesmerized by the secondary/background characters as I was the main players. I hardly knew where to look there was so much going on.  What did surprise me was the amount of repetition there is in opera (hey, I'm slightly un-cultured!).  The  subtitles on the screens above the stage and to the sides were also very appreciated since I have never learned Italian.


The subtitle screen above the curtains


My phone was so inadequate in capturing the beauty of the theater

Of course I guess I should mention what I wore since I stressed out about it so much, lol.  I don't have any cocktail type dresses and wasn't sure how most people were going to be dressed for a Tuesday night performance.  Fortunately I was squarely in the middle of the spectrum, not too casual as to look out of place.  


Navy shirt dress with my gorgeous navy and deep red boots


Tired but beaming smile after getting home very late Tuesday night. 


No comments: