18 May 2009

black and blue

is the way my body feels this week. This post is going to be a mish-mash of my work and workouts so sorry if it get's a little confusing or frustrating.

Since I'm signed up for a sprint duathlon on Memorial Day thought I'd go out and do a test run on Monday to make sure the tri-shorts I'd bought will work ok. Good news is that I was ok with the minimal padding on something under 15 miles, bad news is that due to my current weight loss plan is that the tri-top and shorts are already slightly too large.

Anyway, set out all my stuff on the bbq grill, aired up the tires and took to the roads. First was the 2 mile run, ended up being 2.02 miles in 19:06. I did take Elsie on the first leg so it was a little slow due to a doggie bathroom stop. Back to the house, quick bathroom stop, change shoes, put on helmet and off on the bike. 12.06 miles in 45:07--16.04 mph ave--did have some traffic slowdowns. 2nd run was 1.95 miles in 17:43. Distance was off because I was using my garmin without resetting it between segments, once I hit 16 miles total I thought I was done and ok, didn't realize the last run segment was short, grrr.

Monday night was the first time in a very long time that I had a lot lizard knock on my door. Had gotten a later start than usual so ended up parking in the truck pull-out area in Mt. Juliet. This area used to be notorious for that kind of activity but police enforcement does have it minimized now but unfortunately I got the one persistent person banging on the truck. I know Elsie sure didn't like whoever it was (either that or she was as cranky about getting woke up at 2:30 am as I was). By the 2nd round of pounding, Elsie was full-on growling with hackles raised, the 3rd time I was finally coherent enough to open the sleeper window and yell "What?!". The person finally got the hint that I wasn't going to let her in my truck and disappearred by the time I was up and looking so I could call the cops with a description. Ugh, took me forever to get back to sleep I was so p.o.ed.

Tuesday--No coffee and interrupted sleep makes for a cranky Gabby. The crankiness was only exacerbated by the fact that some idiot had dropped a trailer that needed some work. The regulator valve for the air-ride system was out and the air bags were completely flat, the shocks were blown, had a tire with flat spots, and a marker light out. My choices were to call road rescue and then sit at a TA all day trying to get it repaired (at an exorbitant cost of course) or drive the 300+ mile to NLR to get it repaired at our shop--minimal cost and very short time being shutdown while it was repaired. I chose the company shop. For those that don't drive truck or have never pulled a trailer with the airride system out, it's a very uncomfortable ride. Bump, bump, and every so often the trailer will just jerk. Not a pleasant ride. Called the shop to let them know my eta and explained the problems so all I had to was pull into a bay, do a write-up slip and let them go to work. I was very impressed with how quickly they got it done, one mechanic said it was a personal record for him to get 4 shocks changed out in under 30 minutes. The only hiccup was that one mechanic was balking at changing the tire and came to get the shop foreman to look at it. Well, the boss looked at it, found the flat spots and told the mechanic I was right and that Penske wouldn't accept it and to change it out. YES!!!!!! It's so nice having somebody in charge that listens to me.

Wednesday--tempo run at Winfield, TX. Just over 4 miles solo, then took Elsie out for just under 2. Beautiful day but windy.

Thursday--James and I both had to wait on trailers this week because of Cinco de Mayo and the flu shutting down most of Mexico the previous week so it was a Mall del Norte run. Did 2 laps with James and Elsie then 1 lap solo. Warm, humid, and windy

Friday--nothing interesting, just had a nice long chat with the shop foreman about my trailer issues earlier in the week and drivers not writing problems up when they're dropping equipment on the yard. We came to the conclusion that the company needed to start charging the drivers who drop defective equipment for the time that others are having to sit getting it repaired. I really like this guy, he listens to me without me having to get James to back me up on what needs to be done. And if you're a driver that takes care of the equipment he will bend over backwards to make sure that your issues are taken care of and work you in if you're on a tight schedule.

Saturday--woke up at 5 am to get my long run in before meeting at the bike shop for an easy ride but didn't feel good so just sat there and griped about not wanting to run. Needless to say my long run didn't get ran that morning. Just felt like crap all day, my allergies are horrible this year and I think it's because of Elsie wanting to sleep right up in my face at night. Finally got my 11 miles in that evening--7.33 miles solo in 1:07:02 and the rest was with James and Elsie. Cranky, cranky, cranky until about 3 miles into it then I just seemed to perk up and run the next 4+ miles too fast. We also did an easy 8.1 mile ride on the mountain bikes around town earlier that day.

Elsie got her yearly shots Saturday, I swear she's the only dog I know that WANTS to visit the vet's office. Everything's ok, vet said she was in excellent shape and he also complimented us/her on how well she takes her shots. Now if we could just get her to behave the rest of the time.

Sunday--Slept late, stayed in bed until after 10 am, which is unusual for me. A normal late start is around 0800. Met Gary for a road bike ride in the afternoon, it was a beautiful, cool (but windy) spring day for once. It's either been rainy or hot, not much of a spring this year. We're booking right along until we turned into the wind then we were struggling to keep the speed over 13-15 mph. I was having some major saddle/shorts issues though, shouldn't have skipped the body-glide. Ended up with 32.55 miles in 2:12:58, kind of slow because of the hellacious wind.

After my ride with Gary I rushed home to switch bikes because James and I were meeting up with another friend for the airport loop. She's a little slower but she does have some endurance. I was having trouble adjusting to the mountain bike after the road bike, felt like my knees were up to my chest and couldn't get down in the drops to fight through the wind. Did 18.66 miles on that section for a total of 51.21 miles on the day, my butt and lower back is sore today! Finished up the day with a short 2 mile run with Elsie before supper, which I ended up practically inhaling. I was famished.

No comments: