19 June 2009

Exotic people and places

Ok, ok, my blog title is kind of misleading but with the addition of the Alabama stop this week I had the opportunity to run in a completely different state than usual for 1 day this week woo-hoo!

I normally like to run first thing in the morning before my logbook starts because of the dratted 14 hour rule that we have but was pretty sure that I wasn't going to be able to do that Tuesday because of the difficulty in finding a decent place to park the night before. My suspicions were confirmed when I ventured out to walk Elsie and saw the extremely busy road that I would have to run next to. Oh yeah, let's not forget the plethora of adult book-stores in the vicinity :-)

At this point I'm still not completely discouraged so when I go inside the fuel stop to get my morning coffee kick-start I ask the cashiers if there is a safe place to run/walk nearby. Ummm, you should have seen the expressions on their faces. First was the blank stare which resulted in me having to repeat the question, followed by the confused look of "Why the hell would you want to do that?" Next was the question "You mean, like away from the crazy people and stuff?" Ok, now I KNOW I'm not going to be able to get a workout done here but I now have to endure three overweight fuel-stop cashiers start to ridicule all the "stupid and crazy" people that they see out running next to the river. I just smiled, paid for my coffee, and told them to have a very nice day because I knew they wouldn't be carrying on that way if they were okay with the way they felt about themselves.

It worked out for the best because I was able to run in a much more beautiful smaller town, therefore getting to check out a new to me downtown area, and smell all kinds of delicious cajun cooking instead of yucky car exhaust. By the way if you're ever at the Pilot in Breaux Bridge and ok with walking, there is a small Cajun place a mile south that had my mouth watering with the emanating scents. They weren't open for business yet otherwise I would've been trying to run back with a bag full of food, Lol!

No comments: