20 September 2009

Chafing, toenails, and plantar fasciitis

Ok, knock on wood but I've been EXTREMELY lucky in that I rarely experience any kind of chafing issues. Well, now I know why--I haven't been running far enough. So far though the only chafing issues I'm experiencing is on the tips of my TOES! Time to make the first ever Body Glide purchase and then remember to actually use the stuff.

While we're on the subject of toes, I'm currently going through the marathon training rite of passage. Yeppers, I have three toenails that are in the process of detaching from my feet. Actually one I'd already lost the majority of and have a bit of new nail growing back. The big toenail and the one next to it on my right foot are also working their way loose. EW, EW, EW. This has pretty much ended my days of wearing open toed sandals in public.

On the plantar fasciitis front, all is good there as long as I don't try to wear my cute, flat sandals (like I did last Sunday). I can get up out of bed and not hobble around for 30 minutes while waiting for the foot to loosen up. Today my foot is sore but not that kind of sore, just an all over my body hurts from a hellacious run sore ;). The aggressive icing, stretching and Fit-Flops has worked, yay!

2 comments:

skyfire said...

Hey! My name is Elizabeth Williams, and I am a massage therapist. I have been working with a pilates instructor named Jane Ellis on developing a treatment for plantar fasciitis. Jane was diagnosed with it when she was living in the middle east. Within 4 treatments, it was completely gone.

My job is to release the bound fascia and muscle tissue while deactivating neuromuscular trigger points. Unfortunately, this is very painful especially the 1st session. Jane then strengthens and retrains the neuromuscular system using pilates techniques on the equipment.

We have had great results! Nobody has needed more that 4 sessions. Every once in a while, somebody schedules an appointment because they are feeling the tightness starting to come back. If they catch it right away it is able to be controlled.

You may want to ask around in your community to see if anyone offers this treatment. My goal for the next week or so, is to write an ezine article about this and to have information about this on my website. www.spasummerville.com. feel free to check it out.

Good luck with all that you are doing!

Elizabeth

Susan said...

Fit Flops... I have been contemplating a pair since I was pregnant. Do tell!