29 August 2010

The Big Day Part I

The big day....






Is it any surprise that I didn't sleep well? Nerves, noise from traffic and trains, Elsie being restless, and an 0230 walk to the bathrooms (hydrate baby!)  all led to a fitful night.

It was kinda neat listening to everybody's alarms going off right around 0500.  A quick breakfast of 1/2 bagel, banana, & coffee then finishing up bike prep, etc..  What was VERY nice was the fact that the women's restroom lines were much shorter than the guys. It's usually the exact opposite, lol.

The only thing I almost forgot was the sunscreen....after putting in my contacts, brushing my teeth, changing clothes, I told myself to put it on back at the tent....then got breakfast, told myself to put on sunscreen again.  2nd bathroom stop same thing....I was enroute to the start line when I remembered again, had to turn back and go to the car again, sigh....

Lining up was kinda odd since I knew absolutely no one around me.  Most everybody else was with friends and were chatting away.  Since my nerves had kicked in full force I was shyer than normal so just stood there and waited....& waited.....& waited.  It was a few minutes after 0700 before the flyover.





The flyover....oh it's awesome!! Love watching the fighter jets anyway but to have them do a flyover just for you....wow :-).



It took over 15 minutes just to reach the start line, James said it took over 45 minutes for everybody to clear it. That was a long time to walk the bike up :-(. I clipped in with my right foot and just scooted along with the left.  It was such a relief just to be able to get in the saddle and start pedaling.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, being shyer than most people around you is a common complaint of most serial killers...

So.... the pictures are WHERE exactly? :o)

Unknown said...

Anonymous...uh-huh. So is being a hermit & isolating yourself from the rest of the world :-p. Pictures will have to wait for next week when I get back home from the work week & can download them. I'm leaving directly for Tennessee when i get back to little rock.