12 July 2009

Icy-Hot

Not only did my vacation get cut short by 1/2 a week I have somehow managed to pull a muscle in my left hip. I'm not quite sure exactly when or how I did it other than it was Wednesday night at some point. I think it was a combo of twisting and bumping into something at the same time while trying to put my truck back together after shutting down at Hurricane Mills, TN for the evening but for the life of me I can't place WHEN or HOW.......I know Terry has mentioned that she'll come up with these mysterious bruises but she pulls a flatbed so there's a huge amount of physical stuff involved with that but all I was doing was putting stuff away. Maybe I twisted funny in my sleep......Anyway the pain is located on the side of my left hip right on the bone.

Hurricane Mills is one of my favorite places to run esp. if I take the route to the east but it was a huge mistake to go that way Thursday. I'd woke up with my hip aching but thought it would work itself out once I got moving. Silly me didn't think about the hills and the gravel! Got started running, was ok, kind of achy but bearable. Then I hit the gravel road.............Uneven surface + hills = way more twisting than what my poor body could take. Evidently I started taking much shallower breaths and slightly holding my breath whenever my foot would hit the ground so I ended up with the mother of all stitches in my right side. Imagine a very sharp needle digging into a nerve and that will get you close to the pain I was in.

Crunch. Left foot hitting the gravel.

Spasm on left hip

Crunch. Right foot hitting the gravel

Sharp needle digging into abs on right side.

Crunch. Spasm. Crunch. Sharp needle.

Yeah, I ended up taking some major walk breaks. Once I got back on pavement I was able
to run again without much pain, but I really, really, really should have turned around the moment my left hip started spasming instead of trying to tough it out to get my 4 miles done. My fragrance of choice this week since then has been Eau de Icy-Hot. Very appealing, LOL!

Other stuff for the week

James and I got to run (drive!) with Terry from Little Rock to W. Memphis, yay! I'm afraid I wasn't very good company though 'cause I was sulking at James for him deciding we needed to go back to work earlier than what I wanted. Yes, we drive separate trucks but if I wanted to get back on some semblance of a normal hometime schedule with him I had to leave out too. Marriage=compromise (on both sides).

The trailer I picked up at Mt. Juliet had THREE bad tires. One bald on the outer half, one with flat spots, and the third with flat spots and cord showing. I'm lucky that I was able to make it back to a company shop with the latter. It also had some rail damage that couldn't be repaired with the trailer loaded, will just have to watch for the trailer to come back across with the empties and have it transloaded so that it can be fixed.

I'm having to lay over in Laredo this weekend. The trailer that I was supposed to pick up isn't here and I can't get the weekend dispatch to switch me over to one of the other Mt. Juliet trailers that are here. Called in yesterday (Saturday) morning with the info about the loads that are on our yard and was told that they were already preplanned on other drivers but this was after being told there weren't any there at all. When I gave the info about what was actually on the yard, there was a huge pause and you could almost hear the guy's brain scrambling to come up with a reason why I couldn't be planned on one of those. Don't guess it matters a huge bunch because I have until Wednesday to get back to Mt. Juliet but would much rather be sitting at home than down here right now. I'm not crazy about the 100F+ temps, lol. And James is staying here too (his trailer was here but he has a Wed. appt. too so no hurry).

Walked a lot yesterday shopping and with Elsie so my hip was a little tender again this morning. Instead of trying to tough out a run I'm taking it easy--well, trying to anyway, this is very frustrating. James is starting over on the couch to 5k plan so that was my workout this morning, a little bit of running with a lot of walking. My hip would kind of twinge a little when we'd start out on the run part but within seconds it would loosen up. Hopefully by next weekend this will all have been a bad memory.

1 comment:

Indy said...

I am extremely jealous and feeling terribly discombobulated.

My best friend and 2 other highly regarded mates all got to see each other and here I am ........

Bah! Humbug!

Just kidding!

I am so glad y'all caught up!