08 December 2007

Friday and Saturday

Gloomy, cloudy, misty rainy days, but actually had 2 days of great workouts. Yesterday was a 3.12 mile run in 27:42. Immediately got home changed into warmer clothes and took off on the bicycles with James. He had everything ready to go so I was still sweaty from my run when we left. Had a bit of a scare, some guy coming at us was hanging out of his pickup window screaming and yelling. I initially thought it was James yelling behind me, thought somebody had run him over (never mind that it didn't sound like him at all, it was so unexpected). James said that was a good example of why first cousins should never marry. We tried to make it up this huge hill that's just off of Holmes Rd. I didn't make it but a few feet on my first try, forgot how to downshift quickly!! James made it 1/2 way up on a 3 speed comfort bike before he decided that was enough to beat me. He didn't realize that I was going to make a 2nd run, made it just past him without having to stand up on the pedals but I was struggling. End mileage was 10.9 miles and a stop at the donut shop for coffee and breakfast, ran into somebody we knew and it ended up being a 2 hr break. Stopped at Bike City and bought some toe clips and waited out the rain and talked for another hour. We decided that I needed to go with the clips that didn't have the straps, I want to be able to get out quickly with being new to the road bike. I can get my right foot in ok but still learning on the opposite foot, almost took out the neighbor's pickup this morning trying to get clipped in.

This morning was a 3.27 mile run in 30:02, then home for breakfast (steel cut oats and a boiled egg) before meeting at Bike City for the Sat. morn. fun ride. Didn't think anybody else was going to show up but Dewayne, Becky, and Gary came in. James was test riding a mountain bike this morning, he really liked it but the knobby tires slowed him down. This bike was a little big for him which is surprising since he is 6'3". My goal is to be able to keep up with Gary, not quite there yet. A few more months yet if I continue at the pace I'm at now with the bike training. Gary's ramping up his training mileage too, so I may never get to his level.

I'm starting my Christmas shopping today, I've procrastinated enough. Looove online shopping, the stores this time of year fray my nerves.

No comments: