30 December 2007

I'm famous--well kind of, sort of (maybe in my own mind)


Friday evening I decided to check in on a couple of my favorite bloggers and podcasters Nik and Dan of 4 Feet Running and found out that they had mentioned my blog on their latest episode. This absolutely made my weekend!!!!! If you haven't checked out their podcast you need to even if you have absolutely no interest in running. I listen to a few other running and triathlon based podcasts and while runners would and do find the others entertaining and informative there isn't much to interest non-athletes. Not so with 4 Feet Running, there are times when I'm literally rolling with laughter at their back and forth banter and comments about their surroundings. Thanks for the mention!!

Do you ever have one of those days where you think you're going to have a good run and then nothing on your body wants to work right? well that was my run today. Weather was perfect, it's sunny, 44° when I left, didn't feel tired, was ok on my warmup walk. BUT then I started to run and boom-dead legs. It will usually take me 2 miles to get warmed up but things never seemed to loosen up today. I think because I left later than usual I didn't have enough fuel in me. The oatmeal (steel cut oats, mmmmm) with peanut butter mixed in just wasn't enough to keep me going with a later run today. Still managed to get in 9.26 miles in 1:32:34. Felt like I had to fight for every bit of it though. The schedule called for 8-10 miles so I met the goal for today.

One older gentleman on his walk this afternoon commented to James (with a smile) that it wasn't quite fair that he got to ride his bike while I ran. We usually get a fair number of comments and smiles on Sundays about how he has the easier job. I'm just glad that he's willing to ride along with me. I don't have to worry about carrying my water and whatever else I'm wanting to tote along that day and I definitely enjoy the company. Today's fuel was tri-berry GU, yuck, I'm just not a GU/gel kind of girl. Did decent with the margarita flavored shot blocks last week though. Wish I could find somebody else to run with on my longer runs around here. There are some very active running clubs in Batesville, Cabot, Jacksonville, etc. but the only group I've found around Searcy to run with I just didn't click with personality wise. Part of the problem (other people's problem not mine) is that I'm so heavily tattooed and this is a very conservative Church of Christ town. Quite a few people have these prejudices about certain things and don't bother looking beyond them. I am starting to have a lot of 50-60 year old women stopping me and complimenting me on my arms though, the tattoo reality shows are starting to break down some of the barriers and it's becoming "cool" now.

Today's pic is the view from my "office" from 3 weeks ago, driving on Hwy 64 east across Crowley's Ridge outside of Wynne, AR.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I hear ya about Searcy!!!