23 March 2009

Meet the newest member of my family






















































Ok ignore the trash in the back, we're attempting some around the house cleaning and that's where some of the junk ended up temporarily and if I'd ever quit buying bicycles we're going to have a privacy fence put in. With the economy the way it is I think this baby is worth more than
our pickup is--ouch!
The pictures do not do it justice. It's flat black with shadow striping on some sections and shadow diamond tread pattern on others with gorgeous pink accents. It's just the right mix of tough and girly to suit me. And it rides like a dream!!!!!!! I will have to change out the stock seat, it wasn't too comfortable for the girly bits yesterday and I'm still trying to adjust to the new clipless pedals. I have been using SPD-SLs and made the switch to Speed Play Lightactions--James loves his and supposedly they're easier to use. Just not for me, I'm having trouble trying not to toe in like I did with my spd-sls. Did my first stop and flop on this bike sitting still at a stop sign Saturday evening while practicing clipping and unclipping.
Another new thing for me with the Xenith is a compact double chain ring. I was VERY nervous about this because I've been using a triple and still have to use the granny ring quite a bit but I had absolutely no trouble at all yesterday with the compact double. As a matter of fact I didn't have to use the little ring up front on Foster's Chapel yesterday, YAY! I did going up Sawmill and a couple of other places but not on the endless hill of F.C. Couldn't get up out of the saddle very much to power up because I had ran 10 miles that morning and my quads were burning. Not used to the double workouts yet.
Last week's workouts
Monday--8 miles cycling to run errands, 1.8 mile walk with Elsie, and 4 x 15 pushups
Tuesday--5.12 miles around Lebanon outlet mall, 5k of it with James and Elsie
Wednesday--5.26 miles at Prescott, AR frontage road loop, very foggy.
Thursday--5 miles at the mall in Laredo, 4 x 15 pushups at Pearsall
Saturday--6.25 miles, combined a tempo run with 2 monster hills (Hitler Hill)
Sunday--10 mile long run in the morning, 4.5 miles of it with Elsie, 23.47 miles cycling in the afternoon
Totals for the week--31.63 miles run and 31.47 miles cycle
There was also some yard work this weekend, our whiskey barrel of flowers around the mailbox fell apart so we replaced it with pavestone. Lots of shoveling and hauling 50 chunks of concrete around.
The run with Elsie was a lot of fun yesterday, there was nobody else on the bike path so I took her off the leash so she could bounce around. Startled up a beautiful blue crane at one point and we had to stop and watch it fly away. Another time she ran down to a spot along the creek where she stops to drink and had up so much momentum that she went 3-4 bounds into the water before she realized what she was doing. The expression on her face was hilarious, it was like "What just happened?". Yes, I'm turning into one of those people that attribute's human characteristics to their pets.
I love, love, love my new road bike!!!!!!! I'm still impressed with how tough my Marin Portofina is but it's an entry-level, natural-fit bicycle and they don't make a more aggressive female fit road bike. If they did I would've gone with another Marin but I am very happy with the Jamis Xenith. And the color scheme is perfect!!!!!!!!!!
James and Jason were laughing at me Friday when I told them I named my bikes, guess it's a female thing. Anyway I have a Buffy the Vampire Slayer theme going. My Marin is Cordelia because of it's girly appearance but is steely on the inside, the Jamis mountain bike is Willow, and my new Jamis is Buffy because it's tough with girly accents.

6 comments:

Brenda's NEEDS to RUN said...

WOW - she looks COOL!! How will I ever attempt to keep up with you now???

Arland said...

Nice bike! I bet she feels faster than your old one too. I assume that one is carbon fiber. I can see a tri bike in your future next year...lol.

Anonymous said...

Hiya,

It's Cozmic from the TWB blog.

Like the bike, you sound like someone who enjoys exercise!

For me i'd love to get out on the bike more, shame about the wonderful weather we are having in the UK at the moment.

Thank god for turbo trainers!! lol

Cheers

Unknown said...

Hey Cozmic, glad you visited :). So you're the one who did the cartoon avatar (which I love btw!!!)?

Yeah, I'm a bit addicted anymore to the exercise endorphins ;) but cycling to me is just plain old fun most of the time. Makes me feel like a kid, lol. The trainer though, ugh.......necessary evil in the winter however

Gabby

Anonymous said...

Thanks Gabby,

Not sure if you've got me mixed up with someone else. I didn't do the cartoons. (Can't draw!! lol)

I'm a more technical person, spend time with technology / computers ect.

I do enjoy cycling, but my other hobbies are computers / DJ & music / Home cinema.

Cheers
Coz

Unknown said...

Cozmic,
oops sorry about that...I can't draw either :(