29 March 2009

Spring Fling 5k















The Spring Fling 5k is the 5th Grand Prix race of the year and is put on by the best running club in the state, the Cabot Cruisers! The club did an awesome job of organizing (I didn't do anything to help unfortunately, just showed up and ran) and I think everything went great.


The only downside was the weather, the day started out stormy and warmish (60F at sunrise) but the temp started dropping quickly and it got WINDY! and COLD! I think this is a bit of a challenging course and the pic above is the only time I smiled during the race and that's just because it was Arland taking the picture. I had to really think about waving too, wasn't sure I had the energy to raise the hand and run.
Here's what I looked like just before, I'm grimacing just as bad as the guys around me, LOL













Hmm, I look little next to all the guys. Didn't even notice that I was in a group of men at the time, I was focused on Cindy ahead of me and trying to catch her (didn't happen by the way!). I knew Jackie was coming up hard behind me because I could hear people behind me yelling "Go Jackie" so I knew it was inevitable that she was going to pass me yesterday, just a matter of when, lol! She ended up passing me and Cindy, good strong finish for her. The results have us listed as 25:03.11 (Jackie), 25:03.54 (Cindy), and 25:03.93 (me).
5ks have been my favorite race distance but I'm getting frustrated with my performances lately. It seems like I have stalled at the 25ish minute finish times for the past year. I actually found myself in the middle of the race yesterday asking myself why I was doing this, I wasn't having fun. Blech, maybe I'll work through it. It's just frustrating to have these great training runs then can't seem to pull through on race day. Ugh, I'm whining.
Ended up cancelling on the group long run this morning, James forgot to turn his cell phone off last night and he got a text message at 11:18 pm. I was sleeping soooooo good prior to that but it seemed like I kept waking up every 30 minutes after. Reset my alarm so I could send Brenda a message just after 6 am to let her know I wasn't going to be there and went back to sleep for a couple of hours after that. I feel somewhat better but still not great, going to get myself out the door for a short run with James and Elsie just as soon as I get done updating this.

3 comments:

Arland said...

Hey good job on the race! Looks like all the guys around you were gasping for air. It was fun taking pictures on that little hill. Toughest part of the course.

Susan said...

25 is super!

I'm with ya, though... I often do TONS better during training runs! For me, I know it is all mental race-day crap.

Unknown said...

Susan,

Aww thanks! Don't you hate it when it happens that way? grrr. Mine's part mental, part the new work schedule