09 January 2015

Running fasted

Fasted running, I never realised it was such a hot button topic but there seems to be more than the usual number of articles going around about whether you should do it or not.  There are studies that say you burn more fat if you do the occasional fasted run/cardio and there is one published in the Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport (2010) saying that VO2 max may be increased with fasted running (there are also differences based on gender).  

Personally most of my runs are fasted runs but it's not because of any of the potential benefits, it's because I want to get out and get it done first thing in the morning before my brain wakes up enough to start giving me excuses about why I shouldn't lace up my Brooks that day! The usual plan is to be dressed and out the door within 30 minutes of getting out of bed but occasionally the time will be stretched out to 2 hours. Part of the marathon training is teaching my body to be able to handle eating a small amount before the long runs and what will work the best (still a work in progress for the latter).  

Not the recommended pre-run breakfast!

I'm always curious about other people's routines though, do you eat before you run or are you a fan of fasted running as well? 

No comments: