04 January 2015

Talking about okra


I was a very happy girl last night when I found these in the yellow sticker section of our local shop, I have been craving some roasted okra for the past few months and it's just not something that's stocked very often (at least where I live).

There are a couple of other interesting things about okra here in the UK.  First, quite a few people call it lady's fingers or ladies fingers which is not to be confused with ladyfingers the biscuits (aka cookies in the states)...yes, I was "corrected" on the name the first month I lived here!  Second, check out the original price on the package--£1.99!!!! With today's exchange rate that is equivalent to $3.05 for a tiny 5 ounce package, ouch.  Now you can see why I was so excited to get these at 20 pence.  I've mostly converted myself to not thinking in dollars but the price on these blew my mind because okra was always available fairly inexpensively in the southern United States.

A quick tip for those who have never liked this because of the "sliminess" associated with boiling it or don't want to eat it dredged in cornmeal and deep-fried, try it roasted.  Coat the okra lightly with olive oil and season with coarse sea salt and whatever spices you prefer and roast in the oven to your desired level of crispiness.  I don't bother with cutting off the ends because if the okra is young enough they are edible too. Even my notoriously picky partner who isn't crazy about okra went back for seconds when I prepared it this way for him.

No comments: