19 November 2007

It's all about me me me

Usually the first words I hear when somebody finds out that I drive a big truck are "You're a truck driver?!!" or "You actually drive that truck by yourself?" or even the occasional "You don't look like a truck driver." People have a preconceived notion of what a truck driver should look like and a small female is not what that stereotype is. One guy that I graduated high school with said that I was the last person he would have thought would be a truck driver. Still not quite sure how to take that comment.

However, as much as I like my job, it is just that--a job to support my life, it's not my whole life. I'm also a sister, aunt, runner, tattoo collector, scifi geek, avid reader, motorcycle enthusiast, wannabe fashionista, beginning bicyclist and kayaker, magazine junkie, podcast listener, m.a.c. addict, etc, etc. Nobody is one dimensional.

But back to the job, yes I'm a driver, yes I drive solo (5 out of the 7 years total that I've been driving), no most of the time I'm not scared. Right now I run a regional route from the west central TN area to Laredo, TX, have been doing this particular run for a little over 2 years.

Today I'm going to be later than normal, I have a trailer with a warped door that refuses to close so I'm waiting outside a customer's gate for the service truck to arrive. Tried all the normal tricks, beat on the latches and rods with a hammer, parked on uneven ground, got a much taller driver (over 6 ft.) to help but to no avail, that door just isn't going to shut without some mechanical intervention. It appears that the door and/or the hardware has been replaced recently but it wasn't adjusted properly when it was done. So that leaves me here waiting on a service truck.

Gab

No comments: