08 February 2008

Streets of Laredo

.....or rather the treadmills of Laredo. Yes, still sitting here waiting for my trailer to leave the plant. But at least I have James for company now. Janie at our yard here in Laredo was kind enough to call around the different gyms and ask about day rates and then was giving us excellent directions. She is soooo nice and was asking a lot of questions about running. I think after her baby is born she may try to start running.

We ended up at Rock Gym off of Mines Rd. They gave a free one day visitors pass for the first time, after that it will be $10 per day for both of us. Very nice, new gym with excellent equipment but absolutely no ventilation in the cardio area upstairs--at least it felt that way to me. I never thought that a health club would be kept at a higher temp than ours but I was oh so wrong. At least the one in Searcy has fans that you can turn off and on and reposition to wherever you need them. I thought I was going to pass out it was so hot in there. Supposed to be a 6 miler with 4 mile tempo but I couldn't handle it. Ended up doing 4 miles of fartleks using the tv commercials for my intervals plus the 2 mile wu/cd. I wasn't this miserable at the 4 mile race in Jonesboro last summer that had a heat index of well over a 100°F. James tends to do better on the treadmill than I do. I say it's harder, he says it's easier for him, but then again he's not to the point where he's doing speedwork on the hateful torture device either. He ended up with 30 minutes of running and then did 20 minutes on the bicycle.

We had a nice dinner at the Flying J truck stop, we both had the salad bar and then split a plate of pasta with meat sauce, carrots, and onions. Sometimes the service can be slow at the J's but the food is consistently good. Afterwards we watched Planet Terror (well, I watched part of it, covered my eyes during the gross parts which was most of the movie).

Miss Petra called me tonight to ask if we wanted to get together and ride the bicycles with her and Brian on Saturday, had to decline because of getting stuck down here. Once we do get home we'll have our hands full trying to get laundry done and spending some time with James' mom. I also need to get started on our taxes now that we have all our paperwork. Petra's trying to get to do the Hotter'N Hell Hundred in August. Yikes, I don't have near enough base right now, I guess after the Little Rock 1/2 marathon I will need to start focusing on bicycle training. James said that he guessed he was going to be doing a lot of solo motorcycling this year, ha-ha. I do think that we need to look into the folding bicycles for the trucks.

No comments: