11 July 2008

Oooh, my aching legs

There I am standing around Bike City grumbling that I was going to have to ride by myself this afternoon when I get a call from Gary asking if I wanted to go on a 30 mile ride with him at 1630. Of course I did but I should have known that it was going to be a hilly route. We left out of the Downtown Church of Christ parking lot on N. Main and went up to Johnson Road and followed it to Fairview. Hill after hill after hill. I only had to walk up one though and I was 3/4 of the way up it before giving out. We had also just completed one where Gary had to walk and I made it all the way up. That never happens!!!!!! I'm still not sure he didn't walk just to make me feel better. I'm favoring my right leg at the moment, I had twisted funny moving around in my truck Monday afternoon and it's been giving me fits since then. We only made it to 12.96 miles before turning back but with the heat, the hills, and the headwind that was plenty. I was looking forward to having that wind push us back into town but it died down just when we turned around, darn it.

Totals: 25.92 miles, 13.4 mph ave., 42 mph max, done in 1:55.56.

I actually started my motorcycle this afternoon and used it to go run my errands. This is only the 3rd time this year that I've rode it. I'm surprised she started and wasn't cranky with me. What errands? New Asics 2130s (I had been running in some clearance Mizunos that were not agreeing with my feet), the Aug. issue of Bicycle, and some new hair color to make those pesky gray hairs disappear (now I actually need to put it in). The new Asics set me back $102.60 with tax, ouch!

Now excuse me while I go soak in a cold bath...............

5 comments:

Terry said...

My last Asics didn't work for me, so I am trying Saucony.....Of course I have not even ran this month at all.... I am using the humidity as my excuse, but it seems I gave out about this time last year as well... Makes it more believable, huh?

Susan said...

I was a Mizuno girl for a long time before I moved to Brooks land!

Unknown said...

I was fitted for the Asics GT2120s at Sporty Runner last year so I'm hoping the 2130s will work as well. Also wanted the pink ones this time but they didn't have them in stock so had to settle for blue again. Oh well, maybe in a month or two I can get the pinks ones (hard to justify a $100 just for the color!).

Terry--it is tough this time of year with the heat and humidity, I've found that running 5k's is a great way to keep my enthusiasm up. It's easier to stay motivated if you're surrounded by a group of people suffering (oops, I meant enjoying!) as much as you are.

Susan--did you find the Mizuno's didn't last as long? Seems like the pair I have broke down a lot quicker than my Asics.

Terry said...

I have always heard never take a hot shower immediately after working out, but how does the cold soak help??? I have always snacked on a banana to reduce muscle soreness, so does the bath help out also?

Unknown said...

Terry, actually they recommend ice baths after marathons (not that I've ever ran a marathon) to reduce swelling. I'm not brave enough to try the ice bath yet but a cold bath definitely helps with the day after muscle soreness for me.