16 January 2008

Clean truck--Are those rain clouds?


Finally got around to getting my big truck washed Monday night, it was clean for 20 hrs then I hit rain just north of Austin, TX. Oh well, at least I got to look at a clean hood for a few hours. The company I work for will only pay for a truck wash once every 30 days and this time of year things get grimy real quick. I guess that I need to start paying for one about 2 weeks in but most truck washes charge $40 for tractor only and it's hard to get motivated to pay that when I think this is an ugly truck. I've spoke to the company about being assigned to a different tractor but they want me to put at least a 100,000 miles on this one because they don't want to give an inexperienced driver what is essentially a brand new truck (I was assigned this one when they first leased it).

Overall yesterday was not bad coming through Austin, especially since it was raining and it was 3:30 in the afternoon. Usually just one of those conditions means that it's going to take at least 20-60 minutes longer to get through there.

Yesterday's run was at Mt. Vernon, TX. If you park at the rest areas on either side of I30 you can use the frontage roads to run on. There is very little traffic, yesterday I only met 2 cars (only 1 decided not to share the road) and you have easy access to bathrooms (Yay!!). The 2 drawbacks are that it's not very flat and you are in full view of the interstate--I was honked at 3 times. The first 2 miles were with James, week 5, day 1 (5-3-5-3-5). Again, he did excellent, but this week he may have to repeat. He got all of the run portions in except for the last 2 minutes and then it was because he was starting to have some pain in his left leg. I think it was because of the inclines and the slight tilt of the road. If he runs there again he needs to be closer to the middle of the lane. I then ran an additional 4 miles. Excellent run, felt good, the sun was shining, then I had to get back to driving. I'm just having trouble sticking to the easy run pace-I keep trying to go faster. Total including the 2 with James was 6 miles in 1:02:51.

No comments: