18 January 2008

Home again, home again

We were dispatched out of Laredo on Wednesday rather than Tuesday night like normal, I received my load info just before lunch and James rec'd his around 1600 so we made it home later than usual. This time of year it's not unusual to have to wait longer than normal because the bank of trailers has been depleted because of the holidays. It will probably take through next month before things get back to normal. Last year I ended up sitting in Laredo for 7 days waiting on something to cross back over. Oh well, you have to take the good along with the bad when it comes to running a dedicated route and believe me the good far outweighs the bad when it comes to this run. It was windy in Texas coming back north, I was getting quite a workout wrestling with the steering wheel to try to keep the truck steady. I believe there were 20 mph gusts and those don't mix well with high profile vehicles. Every now and then you will hear reports on the news about trucks and rvs being blown over because of high winds. It's nerve-wracking when it's like yesterday but truly scary when you're driving along and one of the cross winds hits you in the side out of nowhere.

We did do some shopping while waiting in Laredo, hit up Academy Sports, Old Navy, and Target. James got some AWESOME deals on long sleeve tech shirts at Target (3.74-5.00) and ended up with 2 sacks full of pants and shorts from ON where they were having an additional 50% off clearance. I love Target's C9 workout gear but why do they make the bottoms so big. They have some cute workout skirts but the small hangs off of me. It's not that I'm tiny, their vanity sizing is out of control.

I did have a group of little kids pass me Tuesday waving at me and wanting me to honk. Anymore with the video games and dvd players most kids aren't paying attention to the outside world so that's getting rare. I'm always happy to blow the air horn at kids as long as the other motorists around me are aware of what's going on or we're not in the middle of town where they have noise ordinances.

Thursday's workout was a speed workout on the treadmill, 5 miles with 2 x 1600 m at 8:10 pace with 800m recoveries. Did 4.7 miles of the run with 3/10 mile warmup walk, total was 4.99 miles in 46:12. Did manage to get the speed sessions in but boy was it hard. I looked down at one point and was noticing these water drops on the front of the treadmill when I realized that was sweat off of my face, YUCK!!! Wasn't the only one doing that, it was a little warm in there. James had the 8/5/8 day and he kicked some butt!! I was wondering if he was going to be able to do the 20minute day but as long as it's on the treadmill he should have no problem at all. The treadmill forces him to stay at a slower pace and he's not dealing with the wind and hills like outside. We are trying to do at least one of his days outside so his body can adjust to it and not be conditioned to the treadmill only.

I sent in my registration for the No Name 5k in Danville last weekend so that's what I'm doing Sat. morning. Wish me luck everybody, I don't think I'm going to beat my last pr of 25:09 but as long as I get close I'll be happy (maybe, James says I'm too tough on myself sometimes). It should be fun but looking at previous years results, this is a very small race with some fast people. Maybe I should have signed up for the MLK race instead but then again it's good to challenge yourself.

Need to get around and go back to NLR, my truck has a recall notice on it and I need to take it into the Freightliner dealership to get it repaired. We did get a $40 off of $100 coupon for Lewis and Clark so we may go spend that while waiting on the repairs. I also would like to check out some of the bicycle shops to look at mountain biking shoes and pedals. I'm such a klutz when it comes to the bicycle that I decided to go with the mtb style rather than the road bike style.

No comments: