14 February 2009

"Rumors of my death.....

.......have been greatly exaggerated" to quote Mark Twain. James and I had a guy leave us a message on our home phone a couple of weeks that we hadn't heard from in around 7-8 years. I'd went to truck driving school with his wife and James rode up with him in a van to New Jersey to pick up trucks. Well, James didn't get around to returning his call until tonight and found out that we (me and James) had been in a horrible motorcycle accident 3 years ago in Texas that either killed us or almost did. News to us! Isn't it weird how rumors get started? We've never had a motorcycle accident, and I have my own bike so I wouldn't have been on the bitch seat of James' anyway. Now I've dropped my softy a time or two in parking lots at very slow speeds when trying to make turns while I was learning (and maybe a couple of times after that, LOL!) but I've never wrecked it. Shoot, the closest I've come to an accident on the motorcycle was on his 750 honda the first time I ever tried to ride and I just laid it down on a grassy field--again at super slow speeds. Momentum is your friend on 2 wheels, motorcyle or bicycle. I thought maybe they'd heard about my bicycle accident last May, but the timeline was too far off.

This brings me to another humorous rant. Why do guys that ride the oversized motorcycles assume that I ride a Sporty? There's absolutely nothing wrong with Sportsters, actually with the right setup and a skilled rider they will beat most bigger displacement cruisers but they have an undeserved rep as being a "chick bike". Anyway some men take it as a personal insult that a woman can ride the same size motorcycle as they can.

As weird as this is, this isn't the first time that somebody has called us trying to find out if we were okay because of a serious accident. The only difference was that he'd heard it was a big truck accident that killed/maimed us while we were driving team. Strange.........

No comments: