26 February 2009

Title, I don't need no steenking title

Quick update, laid over in Laredo at least overnight. My runs have been plagued with tummy issues this week, I think it's due to the hummus that I've been consuming. My favorite brand has changed the recipe and I guess my body has decided that it's not going to adjust, blech. Any suggestions for a quick easy protein fix would be most welcome, I'm just about peanut-buttered out for the time being.

On the food subject, I'm loving, loving, loving having a microwave on the truck. Tonight's supper will be a baked potato with salsa, mmmm.

What I didn't love this week was having to drive through Dallas because my fuel optimization plan had me fueling at Caddo Mills. Basically it's go-go-go, oops hard brake, go-go-go, stopping again for no apparent reason. yeah, haven't missed the DFW traffic one little bit since I found my shortcut. On the upside, diesel was $1.97/gallon at the Pilot in Caddo Mills.

Monday, James and I rode one loop at the Searcy mountain bike trails, approx. 4 miles. Doesn't sound like much but it's a tough trail and my legs were still tired from the weekend. Plus I had to leave out for TN that afternoon so didn't have much time.

Tuesday, after dropping and hooking at Mount Juliet (and visiting, everybody wanted to know where I was at the previous week) I drove back to Hurricane Mills for what was supposed to have been a 5 miler--turned out to be a 4.5 mile run instead because of the aforementioned digestive problems. Except for that it was a great run, overcast and in the high 40s/low 50s F so didn't freeze or burn up and Elsie was enjoying herself. On the way back I met another truckdriver who was actually giving his dog a real walk. It's so unusual to find that, he even commented about how odd it was to find somebody else exercising their dog. One of these days I need to video Elsie while she's bouncing, it's hilarious.

Today, started to leave out for a 5 mile run without Elsie at Mt. Vernon, TX but she wasn't having any part of that. She started crying so loudly that I could hear her almost .10 miles away, had to turn around and get her. I was worried because part of my route was going to be next to the freeway and she usually doesn't deal well with the loud traffic noise but she did fine. I had to cut it short because of the stupid stomach issues (3 miles). I'd gotten an early enough start this morning that I just decided to get south of San Antonio and try again esp. since I'd already found out that I wasn't going to have a trailer. Pearsall was my 2nd try of the day and you guessed it, problems again but it was within the first .25 mile so just ran back to the fuel stop and was ok after that. Ended up with 3.3 miles + a 3/10 mile cool-down walk. It was a bit warm (over 80F) and humid so I had a very red face for a while, even after my shower.

Tomorrow I have 8 miles scheduled with a tempo run in the middle so I guess I'm going out to the mall and run loops around it. Should be fairly safe and will be flat so hopefully I won't have any problems.

No comments: