08 August 2008

The week in review

Whew, I'll be glad when Pulaski is back to normal, I'd gotten spoiled to getting loaded before lunchtime and it's a pain in the butt getting out of there later in the afternoon. The past 2 Mondays they have been slammed with trucks trying to get parts for the auto plants plus they had inventory last Friday and that slowed them down even more.

Since I knew it would be later in the day before I was rolling again I decided to do my long run Monday. Ended up with 6 miles by running Crescent View to the end and back and then adding on the cul-de-sac portion. It's hilly (just not as hilly as Amos Hamlett) and my legs were sore already from Saturday's race but except for the last 1.5 miles it was a good run. Most of it was shady and the morning glories and sweet peas were in full bloom. There were some areas that the 2 flowers were just tangled up together, beautiful!!!!!

I stopped at Prescott and slept again this week. The rest area at DeKalb, TX has been closed and once you pass a certain time it's next to impossible to get a parking spot on I30 unless you park on a ramp or are willing to take the chance of parking at the closed down truck stop at Winfield. Every so often the owner will decide to charge the drivers to park there and you never know when it's going to happen so it pays to have $10 on you in case that's your unlucky night.

Austin and San Antonio were both fairly easy to drive through Tuesday afternoon so made good time there and ended up getting to Laredo before sundown. Did have some issues with my trailer but the shop was closed before I finished hooking up so did some minor mechaniching before going to bed. Why don't people realize that you have to crimp the solderless connections down in order for them to work? You can't just put the ends of the wire in and wrap it with tape and expect it to stay connected.

Wednesday woke up early and drove to Cotulla for a 4.62 mile run, it was overcast from the tropical storm moving through so wasn't too hot. Went a little further into town than I had before and enjoyed seeing some new scenery. They have a pretty cemetery there that I've run through part of but I don't do that too much. I'm always afraid I'm going to offend somebody plus the older section is a little spooky.

Slept at Gurdon last night and woke up way too early for my liking, had another dentist appt. at 8:30 a.m., yuck. He went ahead and put a veneer on the broke tooth but the other front one hasn't anchored down very much so I have to wear the wire for another 3 weeks. I'm afraid I may end up losing that tooth. Came home and took a midday nap, exciting, huh? Oh, and I had the medical dept at my company grumble at me because I didn't call them the day before. Last time they tried to shut me down before I even made it home so wasn't going to make that mistake again. They did have me cleared within an hour though, I think that must be record time.

Today was a 3.16 mile run by myself then a 1.46 mile run/walk with Elsie. It was fairly decent this afternoon so went out around 2:30 p.m. Overcast and only in the 80's, I kept hoping it would rain but it never did. And I rode my bicycle to the dentist but it was less than a mile so that doesn't count as a workout.

No comments: